Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Invitation

I have a really good guest post coming soon from a former teacher, but today I wanted to write directly to students. You are welcome to use this blog to share your concerns. If any of you have stories you'd like to share about racism, sexism, verbal abuse, or any kind of injustice from Jay Pritzker Academy or Providence St. Mel, please send them to my email address jpaproblems@gmail.com.

Some rules:
1. Make your gender ambiguous.
2. Make your year/time at the school ambiguous.
3. Don't use swear words or spread gossip. Don't mention teachers by names, only administration: Steve, Naomi, Jeanette, and the Pritzkers.
4. State the facts/events first. Then give your opinion at the end. This way, we know what happened without your opinion coloring the story from the beginning.

I think this is it. I received a few comments from students who are really angry at the school, but I can't post them because you either made your identity too obvious, or you used too many names. I can't post those because I don't want Steve or Jeanette to harass you because of this blog.

Having said that, even small things should be documented. For example, if Steve says anything to you about being Cambodian that doesn't feel right, like or if Jeanette says something to you about African American culture, send those. If you ever feel like you're being treated like you are lazy or a criminal, write it into a story and send it. Those kind of stories and comments are ubiquitous in their schools (basically, they say it to everyone) and they will not remember to whom they said it.

I am working on a few more posts myself. Work keeps me busy, but I will try to post those as soon as I can.

To JPA students, hang in there. You are brilliant and hardworking students. You are clever, wise beyond your years. It was an honor to work with you. Don't let them bring you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment