The Providence schools, including Jay Pritzker Academy in Cambodia, are largely funded by Dan and Karen Pritzker, of the Hyatt Hotel Pritzker Family. Jay Pritzker Academy is 100% funded by them. No matter what unethical action JD takes, the Pritzkers are loyal to her. They have allowed her to fire multiple school leaders and teachers at JPA without warning, where there is no board of trustees. They believe she is talented and knows how to achieve results.
When I met him and Karen, they were the nicest people, saying nice things to relate to me. What I since then realized about them is that they don't see us as people who have careers and money problems and lives. They see teachers as disposable income, and they see students as social experiments. They have paid people off (thousands of dollars, some an entire year's salary) after firing them unjustly. I still respect the fact that they want to use some of their money to do a "good thing," but their legacy won't amount to much if they place corrupt, ego-maniacal leaders in power and double down on them. Is that too intense? Not if you've met Jeanette or Steve!
From my time at one of the schools, I have documentation. Quotes from her, quotes from teachers who are terrified by her, quotes from other school leaders. I wish I recorded everything so I could have sound bytes, but how could I have known what would be said. I started the blog because the students and teachers who are at these schools live in fear—fear of being overheard by other teachers who are fond of “whistle blowing,” fear of getting fired with no due process, fear of hearing JD’s high heels as she comes down the hallway. This is a safe place to submit your story whether you are a current or past student/teacher but if no one feels safe, I will voice them for you. Also, for the eager, green teachers who are considering working there and Googling the schools at this very moment, consider yourself warned. The descriptions of PSM, JPA, and PECS are too good to be true.
Here’s a teaser:
“When you come to [PSM], you leave your first amendment rights at the door.” —Jeanette Dibella, in response to students trying to observe the GLSEN Day of Silence.
Pasted from the old blog: Former PSM faculty Dmgee1@hotmail.com Submitted on 2013/06/22 at 12:44 pm I am very interested in sharing my story.
ReplyDeleteI have sent u an email already
~jpaprobs