Sunday, June 15, 2014

JPA Staff Update

The previous post was a pros and cons list for prospective teachers. Most poignantly, a student's email was included, one that describes Steve McCambridge and the current state of JPA.

Teachers from the previous school year have submitted a staff update.

For the 2013-14 school year, 17 new staff members were hired. Here is a report of what happened to 10 of them:

-Teacher 1's classes were reduced to one per day without warning, pay reduced. Teacher 1 quit. Steve and Naomi discussed Teacher 1 with the staff, then drafted a two-paragraph notice on due process: teachers will receive a verbal warning, then a written warning.
-Teacher 2 was verbally warned on a Friday, and fired the subsequent Monday.
-Teacher 3 & 4 complained to Steve about the fact that the Khmer staff cannot have their children attend the school but expats' children can. They were fired the day before Christmas break.
-Teachers 5, 6, 7, & 8 quit mid-year. They were all veteran teachers who could not withstand Steve's leadership any longer.
-Teacher 9 posted a picture on FB that was perceived to be negative to JPA and was fired.
-Teacher 10 made negative comments about the school around another teacher who took the "whistleblower" policy very seriously and reported her to the administration. She was fired immediately after her students took a crucial standardized test.
-Teachers 11-14 did not renew their contracts. Out of 17 new staff members, only 3 stayed on.

I understand that international/foreign schools have problems hiring dedicated and experienced teachers. They don't know if they're hiring a tourist-teacher or a professional teacher who really cares about the students. That being said, would you want to work at a school with a trigger-happy principal? Sure, maybe you think, I won't put up a stupid FB picture. I won't complain. I'll close my eyes to the inequality shown to the Khmer staff. I won't talk poorly of the admin while at school. But really, whatever you do, the odds are, you'll be fired, you'll leave mid-year, or you'll leave at the end of only a year. And it'll be a painful exit, without even so much as a reference.

5 comments:

  1. Here's a comment posted on my old Wordpress blog on 6/19/2014. I guess they didn't see that I moved to Blogger. Anyway, thought I'd share this here, on the post where I discuss Steve's trigger-happy leadership. From the very professional commenter MADOG, with their very mature email address: fookutoo@gmail.com. Here it is:

    This is a really poor attempt at seeking revenge for your own termination. It’s a very unprofessional approach to solving your grievances. There is no way of verifying any counter-argument. It all seems so childish. You should consider taking down this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a former employee of JPA and I'm not keen on sharing my story as it may be used against me in the future. Skeptical readers, I can attest to most of this information. Request transparency from the people interviewing you. Verify the information presented in the blog. Request to see numbers for staff turnover. Take any vague responses or refusal to share information as the first. And remember that the face of JPA is a dogsbody just carrying orders. Good luck. You will need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really good advice. Verify the information on the blog! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. I am one of the teachers that left after only 5 months - In 15 years of teaching I have never experienced anything like JPA, everything in this blog is correct. I wasted thousands of dollars setting myself up in Cambodia only to exist in a perpetual state of fear of being fired for not teaching a model that was never explained. Most importantly Steve McCambridge definitely demonstrated sociopathic tendencies to the detriment of the amazing beautiful students whom I wish I had the strength to stay for. One model of teaching does not fit all and never will although anyone with actual teaching experience would consider this common sense. Do not even consider working at JPA until they have hired administrators with prior international educational experience - and actual teaching qualifications.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry that you had to go through this too. The more time passes, the farther I'm removed from the daily reality at JPA. Comments like yours helps readers understand that the problems are still there. DAN PRITZKER. When will you do something about Steve?!

    ReplyDelete